New age, drone, psychedelic, psyambient, space music, environmental, meditation
Upper Astral, Thom Brennan, Deuter, Steve Halpern, David Parsons, Michael Stearns, David Naegele, Emerald Web, J D Emmanuel & more.
93 min, 89 min, 69 min, 59 min
Compiled & mixed by Mike G at Rubycon Sound, Feb-June 2015
Forget everything you've heard about new age music.
Clear your mind, and the lesson can begin.
In 2013, during my visit to California for the Hearts Of Space Ambicon festival, I met a guy named Douglas Mcgowan at Stephen Hill's house. Almost a generation younger than me, Douglas had a passion that I found curious for his age: vintage new age music. He was visiting as part of his research for what eventually became the outstanding compilation album I Am The Center: Private Label New Age Music in America (1950-1990), one of Ambient Music Guide's Best Albums of 2013.
Upon returning to Australia, I rekindled my somewhat guilty love affair with this much maligned sub-genre and began collecting and digging anew.
Some of the music had never really left me - I was still listening to early albums by the likes of David Parsons, Iasos, Aeoliah, Michael Stearns and Don Robertson and played them occasionally in my sets. But I also unearthed music that was completely new to me, such as the Valley Of The Sun label and gifted artists such as Upper Astral and Karl Schaffner. I was unsurprised to discover that much vintage new age is still out of print. That music is available today only on 2nd-hand cassettes or CDs, or via digital rips uploaded to the internet by passionate fans.
As the I Am The Center album has shown, new age music's early years - mainly the 70's and 80's - are well worth revisiting. The genre's apparent goal - its overt appeal to consciousness expansion though music - has always been both its strength and weakness, but when it's good I believe it's as good as any ambient music, anywhere. Before it morphed into a commercial genre for relaxation muzak and awful instrumental pop confections, the best new age was a reverberation of psychedelic music. It was true psyambient.
And that's what you'll hear in my New Age Archaeology mix series.
Some of the artists from the genre's formative years still make quality music today, such as New Zealander David Parsons and Texan musician J D Emmanuel. A number of recent tracks by such artists also appear in these mixes.
So, Namaste - the light within me honours the light with you. I hope you enjoy.
With Thom Brennan, Larkin (with Michael Stearns), Upper Astral, Steve Halpern, David Parsons, Deuter, David Naegele & David Storrs.
01. Mountains (Mike G’s emergence mix) by Thom Brennan | Mountains (1987, Raingarden)
02. Two Souls Dance by Larkin (with Michael Stearns) | Moments Empowered (1984, Wind Sung Sounds)
03. Skybirds (edit) by Upper Astral | Skybirds (1982, Valley Of The Sun)
04. Massage One (edit) by Upper Astral | Astral Massage (1995, Valley Of The Sun)
05. Rings Of Saturn A Ring / C Ring / D Ring by Steve Halpern | The Rings Of Saturn (1981, Halpern Sounds)
06. Voyage Of The Mothership (excerpt) by David Parsons | Tibetan Plateau (1982, Sun Energy Records)
07. La Ilaha Il Allah by Deuter | Ecstasy (1979, Kuckuck)
08. Dawning Of The New Age part 2 (edit) by David Naegele & David Storrs | Dawning Of The New Age (1983, Valley Of The Sun)
With J D Emmanuel, Emerald Web, Popol Vuh, David Parsons, Stephen Micus, William Aura, Robert Slap, Aeoliah, Kamal and Iasos.
01. Attaining Peace by J D Emmanuel | Wizards (1982, North Star)
02. Valley Of The Birds by Emerald Web | Valley Of The Birds (1981, Stargate)
03. Hand In Hand by Popol Vuh | Agape Agape (1983, SPV Recordings)
04. Wehe Khorazin (edit) by Popol Vuh | Sei Still Wisse Ich Bin (1981, SPV Recordings)
05. Dakpa (edit) by David Parsons | Various - Musique Méchanique (1994, Celestial Harmonies)
06. I Praise You, Unfading Rose by Stephen Micus | Panagia (2013, ECM)
07. On And Off The Planet (edit) by Emerald Web | Manatee Dreams Of Neptune (1990, Scarlet Records)
08. Within (edit) by William Aura | Aurasound II (1982, Fortuna)
09. Focussing Within by J D Emmanuel | Wizards (1982, North Star)
10. The Eternal Om (edit) by Robert Slap | The Eternal Om (1991, Valley Of The Sun)
11. Heart Flame by Aeoliah | Inner Sanctum (1982, Helios)
12. Shakuhaji Tales by Kamal | Silhouette (1986, Nightingale)
13. Why Do I Still Sleep by Popol Vuh | Agape Agape (1983, SPV Recordings)
14. The Descent Of Spring (long descent mix) by Iasos | Elixer (1983, Interdimensional Music)
With Japetus, Jordan De La Sierra, Steven Apollo Halpern, Iasos, Constance Demby and Raphael.
01. Gateway by Japetus | Visions Of Paradise (1986, Japetus Music)
02. Adrift by Japetus | Visions Of Paradise (1986, Japetus Music)
03. Music For Gymnastics (edit) by Jordan De La Sierra | Gymnosphere (1977, Numero Group)
04. Diana’s Dream Theme by Steven Apollo Halpern | Corridors Of Time (1982, Halpern Sounds)
05. Procession On The Horizon by Iasos | Elixer (1983, Interdimensional Music)
06. Fantasy For Solo Piano by Steven Apollo Halpern | Corridors Of Time (1982, Halpern Sounds)
07. Om Mani Padme Hum by Constance Demby | Various - I Am The Center (2013, Light In The Attic)
08. Silence by Raphael | Music To Disappear In (1988, Hearts Of Space)
With Aeoliah, Raphael, Don Robertson, Karl Schaffner, Lothar Grimm, Joanna Brouk and Raphael.
01. Tien Fu (Heaven’s Gate) by Aeoliah | The Light Of Tao (1984, Oreade)
02. Resurrection by Raphael | Music To Disappear In (1988, Hearts Of Space)
03. Jardin Enchante by Don Robertson | Spring (1984, DBR Music)
04. Clouds by Don Robertson | Spring (1984, DBR Music)
05. Fragrance by Karl Schaffner & Lothar Grimm | Bird Of Passage (1984, Isis Music)
06. Nijananda by Karl Schaffner | Many Lives Ago (1987, Valley Of The Sun)
07. Golden Cloud Layers by Joanna Brouk | The Space Between (1981, Hummingbird Productions)
08. Winter Chimes by Joanna Brouk | The Space Between (1981, Hummingbird Productions)
09. Primitive Silence by Raphael | Music To Disappear In (1988, Hearts Of Space)